Monday 22 August 2011

Cantalope Eyes?????? What....

Today, a bit of frivolity and nonsensicalness! (no, that's not a real word).

Have you ever sung particular words to a song each time you hear it, then years later you find you were totally of the mark? This morning I was listening to the sound track from 'The Boat That Rocked' which is another movie in the genre of 'feel good' movies which I absolutely LOVE! It's just such fun.

So, 'Judy in Disguise' I've thought forever, was 'Judy in the Skies'. As it turns out I've been singing the wrong words for years! Maybe I was doing a bit of a crossover there with 'Lucy in the Skies with Diamonds'? That's my excuse anyway. But apart from all that, I looked up the lyrics to 'Judy In Disguise' (because I didn't believe what my ears were telling me) and yes, we have in those lyrics "cantalope eyes come to me tonight" (just as I thought); a "chimney sweep sparrow with guise"; and a "lemonade pie". Wow! Bizarre, curious and fascinating lyrics.

I have now concluded it's little wonder that some of us (I'd like to think most of us) have a tendency to fabricate our own song lyrics. I can actually recall quite a few other examples - these are definitely not words that I've sung myself - a friend of a friend sang these:

Mr Show Lambie - (should be) Mrs Jones and Me

Blinded by the light, set up by a doucher in the middle of the night (should be) cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night);

I became I wine embrandouator (should be) I became a wine and brandy waiter.

(I never did know what an embrandouator was and I still don't know now)??? But I do know that ridiculousness often gets the better of me.

Trish






No comments:

Post a Comment