Tuesday 16 August 2011

Already Missing 'THE BLOCK'!

Weeknight viewing just won't be the same without THE BLOCK. I know there's still the auction to go but I'll miss the challenges, the triumphs, the room reveals, the couples and the insights into their lives and relationships - which seems a bit creepy and a touch voyeuristic, but isn't that what gets us all in?

Yeah, I love seeing the stunning outcomes of all their hard work (Porky and I have had our fair share of renovating and now feel we could back up for more). But for all of us addicted to the show it's like we get to know and analyse the personalities of the couples and the individuals, we have a favourite couple, we take a side in an argument, give armchair advice on the choices made and the colours chosen, agree or disagree with the judges, approve or otherwise of the finished results; and maybe even imagine ourselves living in those rooms, entertaining in those stunning outdoor spaces with our own families and friends (however, I draw the line at imagining P in the mankini)! Or anyone else I know in the mankini. Hilarious but so very cringe-worthy! I loved Amy's comment "I've seen too much"!

Oh yes, so have I (but I did watch all those replays)!

And apart from all of the above, I feel for the couples leaving 'their' houses which have become so much a part of them; which hold a part of their story, reflect their character, their taste in decorating, their hard work and their love. Get a grip I tell myself - it's only a TV show. But is that all it is - after all it IS real people being filmed as themselves - in a situation in which they are without their privacy and from which they must return to their normal everyday lives.

So what's the addiction that I and millions of others viewers have to THE BLOCK and other reality TV? Do we feel like we've shared their journey - is this the addiction? Or is it the fact that watching the people involved fulfils a fantasy within us all? (I don't mean in a creepy way)! Moreover, the watching is justifiable by the viewers and desired by the participants because it's a TV show in which those people have willingly subjected themselves to being watched.

Oh well, whatever it is I find it an interesting phenomenon,  AND, I want more of THE BLOCK!!!

Trish



No comments:

Post a Comment